Mental Health Month 2015 - what are we doing?
October is a special time every year in NSW as it is recognised state-wide as Mental Health Month, which gives us all the time to reflect on the impact of mental health concerns in our community, how we can support those we care about and what we are doing (and can do!) for ourselves to look after our wellbeing.
This year's theme is "Value Your Mind", which focuses on thinking about how mental health exists in our daily lives and importance for everyone to make mental health a priority. When we do this, we are practising self- care which is an important part of our daily living to ensure the maintenance of balanced wellbeing.
There are many community events this year that headspace Penrith will be at. Come along and join in on the fun!
- THURSDAY 8 OCTOBER: 2 events will be taking place at The Mondo (outside the Joan Sutherland Centre and the Westfield) running from 2-8:30pm. Look out for the headspace Penrith marquee where we will be running activities and giving away free goodies all in the spirit of valuing our minds!
- SATURDAY 10 OCTOBER: Come to the Blue Mountains Health and Wellbeing Expo at Springwood Country Club from 9am-3pm. Entry is free and there is a huge line-up of activities and information for your mind, body and soul! Why not have a go at a Tai Chi class or play ukulele? There will be art therapy groups running as well as the chance to see us while you score a free massage!
- TUESDAY 13 OCTOBER: Western Sydney University (WSU) is hosting a roadshow of Mental Health and Wellbeing Events at all campuses this month with headspace as their chosen mental health promotion service across every event! From 10am-2pm we will be at WSU Penrith (Kingswood) Campus for the festivities! These will include:
- FREE healthy lunch & snacks
- Carnival games
- Fairy floss & popcorn stands
- Free massages + silent disco
- Opportunities to win prizes
- THURSDAY 15 OCTOBER: Peace & Mind Expo at Memorial Hall, St Marys Community Centre from 10am-1pm.
- THURSDAY 22 OCTOBER: WSU Mental Health & Wellbeing Event at Werrington South Campus from 10am-2pm.
- WEDNESDAY 28 OCTOBER: Trivia Challenge at Cranebrook High School from 6-9pm. Questions will be covering: youth culture, healthy relationships, drugs & alcohol, communication & mental health!