Getting Out and About with headspace
Here is an update of what we at headspace Woolloongabba along with Ipswich, Nundah and MeadowBrook have been up to recently.
- Kicked off happiness program with 60 year 8 and 9 students at the Our Lady College at Annerley (This is a 6 session program that has strong support from the teaching team – great model of co-operation and collaboration)
- Held the first Youth Reference Group meeting of the year at MeadowBrook
- Supported a group of young people from Southbank TAFE who are organising and hosting a fundraising event for the centre - this is an enthusiastic group of young people who are doing this project as an assessment piece.
- Headspace presentation to a couple of hundred year 10 students at Albany Creek State High
- Attended the Closing the Gap morning tea organised by Brisbane Broncos Indigenous mentoring team
- Sizzled sausages with members of The Hills PCYC Youth Management Team at their Youth Week event that attracted a few hundred hip hop fans
- Dropped into the QPASST walk in their shoes youth week event and got to see the local member of parliament break out her hip hop moves!
- Facilitated two HYPA meetings (Ipswich Youth Reference Group) meetings. These young people rate a 10 / 10 for their enthusiasm and willingness to step up and be involved. This is a few of them in action at events around Brisbane.
- Presented an evening session to One Woman project – a group of women activists and sat next to an amazing young woman who I had heard on radio the week before who organised a UN environmental rally (I was impressed when I heard her on the radio and blown away when I met her in real life) – the topic of the seminar ‘how to burn bright without burning out’
- Presented a headspace information session to 50 Griffith University students organised by their residential college – this was the alternative activity to the drinking and bar events that are offered on a Tuesday night!
- Kicked off ‘Make your goals work for you program’ with 30 year 11 and 12 students at the Our Lady College at Annerley
- Continued our weekly connection with the Youth Outreach Flexi school
- Met with indigenous students from Mary Mackillop college to discuss applying to join Nundah Youth Reference Group
- Working with the Youth Reference Group communication team who are working on the ezine (in between their assessment and exam periods during their first semester of university)
- Presentation at Ipswich Youth Outreach team alongside Hannah a member of the Ipswich Youth Reference Group.
- In the last month the headspace centre teams have been seen at events all across Brisbane and surrounding suburbs