Welcome to headspace Coffs Harbour. We help young people aged between 12 and 25 who may be going through a tough time in the Coffs Harbour area.
headspace Coffs Harbour is free, youth friendly and confidential.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis we are limiting face to face services as much as possible until further notice. headspace CH will continue to provide support services to young people via phone and video appointments. Please contact us for an appointment when you can via the phone.
headspace Coffs Harbour is not a crisis service. If you are experiencing a mental health or other emergency please contact:
Emergency 000, Lifeline 13 11 14, Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 or Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467.
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 3:30pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Coffs Harbour is operated by Genhealth Incorporated. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, North Coast (Healthy North Coast).
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
Jobs and volunteering
Positions currently available at headspace Coffs Harbour
Employer: GenHealth Inc
Deadline: 01/10/2020 9:00am
The Peer Support Worker will use their lived experiences of mental health recovery to support others and help others navigate their mental health challenges. They will inspire, model and inform others in similar situation to support them in finding their own path of recovery. Under the scope of the Wait Time Reduction (WTR) Project, the Peer Support Worker will provide open, appropriate and effective support to young people accessing or considering connection with headspace services. They will also provide support to the families and carers of young people accessing or considering access to headspace services. They will work collaboratively, support staff in other roles and relevant service providers, and support evaluation of the Wait Time Reduction (WTR) project. Key responsibilities are outlined in the Position Description (see below).
- 2 x Part Time positions available - 0.5FTE (19 hours/week per position - days of work negotiable)
- Maximum Term employment contract for 12 months
- Location – headspace Coffs Harbour
- New positions - available for immediate commencement
The preferred candidate/s will have:
- A “lived experience” of mental health issues
- Practical knowledge and understanding of issues facing young people with a mental health issues, and the family, friends and carers of young people with mental health issues
- An ability to carry out duties whilst understanding professional boundaries and maintaining privacy and confidentiality
- Ability and capacity to listen and acknowledge discussion of mental health issues in a compassionate, non-judgmental way
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience within culturally diverse communities and the ability to initiate, interact and maintain relationships with young people, their families, friends and carers in a culturally diverse community
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with service providers and work in a team environment
- Demonstrated computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and database applications
- Ability to manage own well-being including the identification of strategies for staying well whilst working/stakeholders.
Desirably, you will also have a Certificate IV in Mental Health or Mental Health Peer Work, and a current First Aid Certificate or willingness to obtain one
- Police check (refer to PD)
- Current Working with Children Check
- Australian Working Rights
- Drivers licence
- Access to a registered and comprehensively insured car for business use
Salary and Benefits
- This position is classified as Support Services Level 3 under the Health Professionals and Support Services Award
- An over Award salary will be paid based on skills and experience
- Super Guarantee of 9.5% payable in addition to salary
- As a not-for-profit non-government organisation GenHealth can offer eligible employees salary package benefits of up to $15,900 per annum
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a Position Description
- Submit an outline of your claims to the position demonstrating how you meet each of the essential and desirable criteria listed on the Position Description and,
- Include your current resume detailing your skills, qualifications and experience, and the names and contact details for two referees
- Email your complete application to email@example.com
Please note: if your application does not address the selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description, it will be incomplete and will not be forwarded to the selection committee for review.
Closing Date for Applications: 9am Thursday 1 October 2020
For more information contact:
Name: Tracey Rowe
Phone: (02) 6652 1878
Employer: GenHealth Inc
Deadline: 31/10/2020 12:00am
Are you aged between 12 and 25, and live in Australia?
Do you have an interest and passion for youth health, mental health and other issues relating to young people?
By getting involved you will:
- Have the opportunity to have your say and guide youth mental health services
- Develop a range of skills including leadership, team work, and communication
- Be aged between 12 and 25 years of age at the time of application NB:Being a person of a particular age or age group is a genuine occupational qualification in accordance with section 49ZYJ (2)(c) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW)
- Interest and passion around youth health, mental health and other issues relating to young people
- Ability to work in a team and participate in group discussions as well as working independently
- Motivation, willingness and commitment to participate to a monthly meeting (either face-to-face or online) on an ongoing basis and teleconference, email and online discussions as needed.
- Motivation and willingness to participate in community education activities, media and public events
- Regular access to telephone and internet
- Ability to balance health (including mental health), responsibilities (study, work, family, social) and the demands of the headspace Advisory Reference Group
- Prepared to undertake some skills development / workshop about mental health
Headspace will provide training to support you to participate. You will receive awards for participation and skills training.
How to get involved: Contact us for a Position Description and an Application Form. Complete the Application Form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org This will tell us a little bit about you, why you are interested in becoming a headspace Advisory Reference Group Member and how you can bring to headspace the essential qualities of the role?
If you need help to prepare or submit your application, get in touch with us by email or (02) 66521878.
For more information contact:
Name: Tracey Rowe
Phone: (02) 6652 1878
Reception & Welcome
Cindy Pocock, Catherine Frost, Penny Budge
Community Engagement & Development Officer
Youth Access Clinicians
Elaine Stanmore, Jo Magill, Dion Richardson, Maejoy Obach, Gary Maher
Dr Andrew Grey, Laurie Manson, Basia Radlinska, Emily Stokes, Malcolm Brunton
Mental Health Nurse
Dr. John Hurley
Community Partners at headspace Coffs Harbour:
Alcohol & Other Drugs Counsellor (CHHC)
Youth And Family Access (CHHC Mental Health Service)
Sexual Assault Counselling Service (CHHC)
Sexual Health Clinic (CHHC)
Baby Health Clinic Nurse (CHHC): Rhonda Wykes
To talk to any of us, or to make an appointment, please call us on 02 6652 1878.
To access headspace Coffs Harbour services for free all you need to have is a valid Medicare card.
If you don’t have a Medicare card and you are over the age of 15 years old you can apply for your own Medicare card. Information about how to apply can be found on the Department of Human Services page:
If you are in Coffs Harbour, you can visit the Medicare Office at 21-25 Duke Street for assistance.
You will need to provide identification, such as a student card or birth certificate.
For more information you can contact Medicare general enquiries on 132 011, they are open 7 days a week / 24 hours a day. If you are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander you can contact the access line on 1800 556 955. They are open mon – fri 8:30am – 5pm.
If you are ineligible to apply for a Medicare Card give us a call and we will direct you to alternative appropriate services.
headspace Coffs Harbour is located at 45-53 Little Street in Coffs Harbour and our building has been designed to provide full wheelchair access.
Disabled parking is available on Little Street within 20 metres of the front door (out the front of our next door neighbours at Legal Aid).
If you have any specific requirements to help you access our service please call us and we will work with you to make sure you can easily access our building and service.
Download our referral form from this page.
Click here for the ---> headspace Coffs Harbour Referral Form <---
- Fill it in
- Print it out
- Fax it, email, post it or drop it into headspace Coffs Harbour
Our fax:(02) 6652 7379 or (02) 6652 8778
Address: 45 - 53 Little Street, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
Post: PO Box 46, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
If you have any questions, you can call us on 02 6652 1878
Once we receive your referral, we'll contact you by phone.
To keep up to date with what's happening at headspace Coffs Harbour and find out about the latest news and events go to our facebook page and give us a like: https://www.facebook.com/headspaceCoffsHarbour/