the girl from plainville
The Girl from Plainville is based on the story of Conrad Roy and his relationship with girlfriend Michelle Carter. The series follows the events leading up to the suicide death of Conrad Roy, the involvement of Michelle Carter, and her conviction of involuntary manslaughter. The court proceedings in 2017 gained significant media attention and was referred to as the ‘texting suicide case’.
This series depicts suicidality, conversations that encourage self harm and suicide, suicide method, court proceedings, and the bereavement of family and friends.
As this series was produced in the United States, headspace was not consulted during production, nor has it viewed the series.
headspace developed the following information that may be helpful for viewers of the show and the wider community:
Where to get help
In an emergency, please contact 000.
These are national 24/7 crisis services:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 www.lifeline.org.au
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467 www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au
- beyondblue: 1300 224 636 www.beyondblue.org.au
Youth support services:
- eheadspace: 1800 650 890 Online & phone support
- headspace centres: Find your local centre
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800 www.kidshelpline.com.au
- ReachOut: www.reachout.com
- SANE Australia: 1800 187 263 www.sane.org